Monday 22 July 2013

Review - LUSH Vanilla Puff Powder

LUSH logo


LUSH Cosmetics is one of those special, magical places where the intoxicating scents, adorable pastels and super friendly associates combined results in a "perfect storm" of buying frenzy. When I am in the LUSH mode I am able to justify, rationalize and even feel good about buying their bounty! However that happens even when I am not entirely sure what the product actually is or what I am using it for. Sometimes that can be a recipe for buyers remorse but other times it can result in a major "rave" discovery. It's a toss up but kudos to the LUSH team - I almost always come out on top.

The LUSH Vanilla Puff Powder was one of those mystery items, purchased solely for the scent itself and the fact that I seem to be incapable of reading descriptions & directions in a store setting.
I am almost positive that at the time I acquired this I was not really aware that this was essentially a Vanilla scented talc. Granted this is the LUSH version of the traditional "old lady" formula and as such made the experience and the talc itself a little more "current".

The ultimate question remains - Am I a talc convert?

LUSH Vanilla Puff Powder


What it is - Luxurious, indulgent vanilla jasmine powder

Scent your skin with vanilla and leave it silky smooth, and softly fragranced. Inspired by rich, sumptuous desserts, Vanilla Puff dusting powder is a decadent extension of our popular range of Vanillary products. Each bottle has a real vanilla pod inside that slowly infuses its sweet fragrance as you use it. Talc keeps your skin smooth and vanilla absolute helps your skin retain moisture while jasmine and tonka help with softness and to give Vanilla Puff its delicious, vanilla pudding scent. For sophisticated fragrance layering – sprinkle some on before spritzing your favorite perfume, Vanillary of course.

Ingredients;
Cornflour (Zea mays), Magnesium Carbonate, Talc, Perfume, Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia), Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum officinale), Tonka Absolute (Dipteryx odorata), Powdered Vanilla (Vanilla planifolia), Vanilla Pod (Vanilla planifolia), Coumarin, Hydroxcitronellal

The feature I love the most when it comes to LUSH Vanilla Puff Powder is the scent itself, which was the reason this ended up in my basket in the first place. Fragrances represent a lot of comforting feelings and memories for me so I always develop a personal connection with any scent that I end up choosing for myself and this talc powder is no exception.

As expected the main note in the fragrance is vanilla but if you are expecting the sugary, baked goods kind of development then this is definitively not for you. The combination of the Vanilla with the Tonka note blends to create a comforting, grown-up, sophisticated blend that still smells good enough to eat but has the features of a fancy French dessert instead of the plain old vanilla cookie. Regular LUSH customers already know that this company is known for its extra-special touches when it comes to product design and the Vanilla Puff Powder is no exception. If you look closely you will see that each bottle contains a real Vanilla pod along with the powder. What that implies is that the scent will last longer and continue to evolve even after its made because the vanilla pod continues to infuse the talc powder with fragrance long after.

The scent appeals to both girls and (most) boys because it doesnt have that sweet, sugary finish associated with some "feminine" preconceptions.

Traditionally talcum powders are used as moisture absorbents and as such they keep the skin dry, thereby reducing & soothing rashes and chaffing irritations. Hence its use in baby care!

LUSH Vanilla Puff Powder has surpassed all of my expectations and I am still finding new ways to use it;
- After a bath or a shower, following my body lotion
- Dry shampoo alternative
- Vanilla fragrance enhancer
- Bed sheet refresher
- Muggy weather relief
- Quick deodorant alternative
- Pet bed refresher
- Sprinkled in shoes, gym bags and my 'unmentionables'
- Hair fragrance (softens the ends)

The packaging of the Vanilla Puff Powder leaves a lot to be desired and is probably the only fault I can find with this product. The bottle opening is entirely too big and clumsy, which coupled with my own incompetence can end up being a complete white, powdery disaster. Its taken some practice and patience on my part but now I know to be careful when using this, especially since I don't want to waste something i enjoy so much. If i do make a mess, at least its a beautifully vanilla scented mess so I don't concern myself with it too much. I do however hope LUSH is working on a better alternative.

Initially I wasn't too keen on the idea of talcum powders but the more i use this, the more I love it! There is something very classy, feminine and old-worldly about sprinkling this everywhere and since the scent lingers softly, every whiff just makes me feel pampered and beautiful.

The price is right ($6.95 for 1.9 oz) and the LUSH Vanilla Puff Powder is available both in stores and online year-round. Check out their website for more information and all other awesome LUSH information!


Have you tried the LUSH Vanilla Puff Powder? What's your favorite LUSH product?

XOXO

ANJA

P.S. If you enjoyed this post and want some more Princeza Beauty Musings, please consider following me through GFC, Bloglovin, Pinterest or Twitter! Insert "happy dance" here :-)


1 comment: