Sunday 21 July 2013

Cult Classic - Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream

elizabeth arden logo

There are certain products out there that everyone seems to either have or at the very least know about. Some of these have an impressive long term history or maybe an interesting backstory upon which their fame is based or built on. Others bust out on the scene with a trendy, flashy idea, gain some hype and notoriety, splash across the blogosphere fast, only to end up forgotten when the next exciting thing comes out! 
And there is always something new on the beauty horizon!

In order to be memorable and become that "household" name, a product needs to be really special in more ways than one. Reaching that coveted "cult" status is no easy feat but it is one that every brand strives for. I can't comment on the marketing geniius minds that make something like that possible but I can at least speculate what the "cult" label means for a regular girl like me.

Personally I try and avoid a lot of the "hype" items that everyone goes crazy for and do quite a bit of research on my cosmetics before purchasing. The key word being "try", because more often than not my mind convinces me that owning the coveted product will somehow change my life in some meaningful way and phrases like "missing out" start being thrown around...I obviously have impulse control issues!
These days I am trying to approach the "cult status" from a more mature platform , examining and dissecting each product in hope that the proposed purchase is;
A. Right for me, my skin and my lifestyle
B. Worth the expense and the time searching it out 
C. Classic-timeless formulation that has nothing to do with a current trend 
D. Reviewed positively by peers that are " like me" 

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour CreamElizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream is a product that almost everyone knows about, with a classic, tested & true formula, whose uses seem practically endless. I remember seeing a jar of this balm on my grandmothers vanity for years! The look, the feel and even the distinct fragrance of the Eight Hour Cream has the ability to trigger comforting, melancholy childhood memories. That fact alone was the primary reason I knew I had to get a tube of my own. Fortunately for me Ms.Arden's signature product turned out to be one of the best multi-taskers I own!


Description;
Good for all skin types. A classic Elizabeth Arden product that protects and helps heal chapped, cracked dry skin, while providing anti-inflammatory benefits. This all purpose balm soothes and comforts minor weather burns, scrapes or abrasions, and protects against environmental damage and fights free radicals. This unique cream will smooth rough spots on feet or anywhere on the body, and is also an excellent cuticle and hangnail softener.

Ingredients;
Petrolatum (56.8%), Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, BHT, Salicylic Acid, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Castor), Vegetable Oil, Zea Mays Oil (Corn), Fragrance, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides

Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream like a lot of other must-have products has a very humble but interesting beginning. It's roots came out of necessity and were born in a very unlikely place for a beauty product. 

The tale goes that Ms.Arden created a salve mix to help heal gashes and minor scratches sustained by her beloved horses, and seeing how successful it was she fine-tuned the recipe to appeal to her fellow humans. The rest as they say is history!

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Set
Today the formulation of the Eight Hour Cream remains relatively unchanged and is seen in the makeup kits of almost every modern and amateur makeup artist. It is one of the best selling products of all time and as such has inspired an entire line of Eight Hour products. Elizabeth Arden now has the Eight Hour Cream versions for body, face and lips; all based on that first healing batch made so long ago in the 1930's.
The formula features skin-soothing beta hydroxy, vitamin E and petrolatum, resulting in a very potent, hydrating multi-purpose balm.

My tube of the Eight Hour Cream has been used for so many things that I am sure I will forget some of them;
- Brow Grooming
- Cutucle softener 
- Lip Balm
- Overnight Lip Treatment 
- Natural Cheekbone & Eye Highlighter
- Body Sheen (think collarbone!)
- Hydration Mask 
- Quick Frizz Cream 
- Dry Patch Relief 
- Natural Eye Sheen 
- In-Flight Moisturizer 
- Sunburn or Blister Relief 

The consistency of the balm is very thick, dense and intensely emollient. The texture makes it perfect for targeted relief and especially for cold Canadian winters when everything on me starts to flake. The Eight Hour Cream is the only balm that I have that can take care of windburned lips and cheeks practically overnight with only single application.

Its not a glamorous balm but for me it can be a product that gets me to that glamour state!

The Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream is available in original and unscented version, in a tube or an old fashioned tub. For more information or retail visit the Elizabeth Arden website

I hope you found this helpful!

Have you tried the Eight Hour Cream?

XOXO

ANJA

P.S. If you enjoyed this post and want some more Princeza Beauty Musings, please consider following me through GFC, Bloglovin, Pinterest or Twitter! Insert "happy dance" here :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment