Friday 12 July 2013

Obsession #1 Larabars


This post might seem a little off balance for a beauty blog but I have wanted to introduce some lifestyle posts for a while and "my obsessions" are an excellent way to start.

I might have already mentioned how obsessive and focused I can get when I discover something I love. It can get pretty ridiculous! If I love something I can be the BEST brand ambassador ever - seriously they should hire me, I am that good :-)
As many of you I am sure I try very hard to eat healthy, choose high-value foods, use "clean" products, be active and avoid the 'oh so tempting' snack opportunities. Usually it's an epic fail! 
The reason for my failures however seems to be rooted in the fact that many of the 'healthy' options just don't seem to appeal to me. I have all the right intentions believe me, however when faced with a bag of bean chips my resolve crumbles and I go searching for something a little less...wholesome. This may sound like an excuse and it probably is (hey at least I acknowledge it!) but I don't live in an area that offers a lot of variety when it comes to healthier options. My cooking skills are downright dangerous and I can be quite picky when it comes to ingredients...I am praying for a Trader Joe or Whole Foods to find their way to my town! 

The key is that I keep trying things out and luckily I am pretty adventurous when it comes to food experiments, which means that every once in a while I find a healthy-tasty gem among all the wheat grass. 
In essence it is not everyday that I find something I like that actually likes me back. That kind of miracle almost never happens to me. 
My nutritionist has recommended a list of items to look for in the tiny healthy-eating aisle of my grocery store, and most of them turned out to be weird or downright unpalatable.

The exception to this has been the slightly overlooked wonder of the LARABAR! It is hands-down the best discovery I have ever made in the healthy food department. It's currently the #1 thing in my diet and I have been campaigning for the Coconut Cream flavour non-stop. I can eat Larabars every day and I literally panic a little when I see that I am down to the last one.

Official Larabar Coconut Cream description;
Are you known to pop in to pastry shops? Would you say that you loooooove the taste of coconut? If so, then Coconut Cream Pie is the food for you. Our mix of unsweetened coconut, cashews and almonds provides 6 grams of fiber and a yummy alternative to the original, more decadent delight.

I tried the Larabar as a huge skeptic and when i opened the wrapper I was almost a little scared. It looked a lot like all the other "energy bars" that tasted like death to me and even though I could see my favorite coconut flakes I had little hope. 
When I am wrong, I admit I am wrong! And I couldn't have been more wrong about the Larabar Coconut Cream! It was so good that for a split second I thought that maybe this bar was wrongfully left in the organic aisle. A quick glance at the ingredient list alleviated my fears.

Ingredients;
Dates, Almonds, Unsweetened Coconut, Cashews and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. 

That's the complete ingredient list! I don't remember the last time I are something that had so few components. The list is so short that I am sure those of you who are not cooking-challenged like me, could actually reproduce these quite easily in your own kitchen. 
I love everything about this Larabar, the texture, the light coconut scent, the wonderful balanced sweetness and the fact that it satisfies hunger in a pinch. I still can't believe this is health food! 

My verdict on the Larabar Coconut Cream (Coconut Cream Pie) is more positive than any other rating I have ever given. Not only did I find a good food option but this discovery has renewed my will to continue searching for healthy options that don't remind me of my epic failures. My mission now is to find a supplier by the case - they are that good!

Larabar flavours include: Cashew, Chocolate Chip, Apple Pie, Banana Bread, Blueberry Muffin, Cappuccino, Carrot Cake, Cherry Pie, Pecan Pie, Peanut Butter...

You can find all kinds of cool information about Larabars at their website and purchase them at most grocery/health stores. I found them at the Atlantic Super Store, Costco and Shoppers Drug Mart!

I hope you found this helpful!


Hungry, yet? What's your favorite healthy snack? 


XOXO

ANJA

P.S. If you enjoyed this post and want some more Princeza Beauty Musings, please consider following me through GFC, Bloglovin, Pinterest or Twitter! Insert "happy dance" here :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment