Thursday 18 July 2013

Review - Avene Thermal Spring Water

Avene logo


I have been aware of these "thermal waters" in a can for some time, considered purchasing a few times but always found a reason not to. After all this really isn't an essential skin care item and I have always been skeptical when it comes to the phenomenon of any "healing" waters. The outlandish claims and promises of health & youth always rubbed me the wrong way so dismissing products like these came pretty easy to me. 

My first experience with Avene Thermal Spring Water was rather uneventful and my reservations came to be justified. I received an Avene skincare gift set for Christmas and the Thermal Spring Water was a part of it. I used it a few times, was underwhelmed, set it aside and then promptly forgot about its existence. 
I rediscovered it recently and decided to "trial" it properly and in turn do some research about its origins and actual promises. 


Avene Thermal Spring WaterWhat it is;
Avene Thermal Spring Water features a unique composition which soothes, softens and restores skin's natural balance.
Clinically proven by over 300 studies to calm, soothe and soften the skin and restores skin's natural balance. It has been used since 1743 in Avene's Hydrotherapy Center to treat serious dermatological conditions such as atopic dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema.

Ingredients;
Water (100% Avene Thermal Spring Water), Nitrogen


I was surprised and initially quite alarmed to learn that Avene Thermal Spring Water originates from regular rain. Surely in this time of global industrialization and ridiculous pollution ratings, good old regular rain can't be beneficial? Apparently this rain takes a 40 year old journey through the French Cavennes Mountain aquifer and on its way collects all kinds of trace minerals, transforming into a enriched "water" which is said to restore even the most sensitive of skins. 

I was surprised to learn that the Avene Thermal Spring Water has been tested over 300 times by independent scientific institutions, which subsequently proved the soothing and skin-healing properties. Even more impressive - the Thermal Spring Water has been used in treatments for some severe dermatological diseases and conditions. For decades the healing water properties have been used for dermatitis, psoriasis, ichtiosis, acne and even superficial burns. The more I learned, the less vocal my inner sceptic became! 
Those of us who are not dealing with extreme skin issues can also reap the benefits of the Avene Thermal Spring Water. It's recommended for: makeup setting, after-shave coolant, diaper rash, facial redness, general skin refreshment, sunburns and even post surgery. 


My favorite way to use the thermal waters is just before serum or oil application to help with spread-ability and absorption. I find a single spray of this allows me to use less of whatever skin treatment i happen to be using and since it dilutes the solution a bit I can work it in to my skin faster as well. 

Avene Thermal Spring Water

The most recommended way to use the Avene Thermal Spring Water is to use it throughout the day as a refresher however that's a direction I wholeheartedly disagree with. Spraying your face with any kind of water (thermal enriched or not!) causes evaporation so essentially what you are doing is removing moisture from your skin each time. That's a luxury my skin cannot afford! 

My final verdict is positive but hesitant at the same time. I believe that the Avene Thermal Spring Water ($18) is an excellent product and I can definitively feel the soothing effect on the skin but I can't consider it as an essential part of a skin routine. Basically it's a perk that is really nice to have but isn't 100% necessary. 

Avene products can be found at Shoppers Drug Mart locations all over Canada.

Have you tried Avene Thermal Spring Water? What is your opinion on these "canned" waters?


XOXO 

ANJA

P.S. If you enjoyed this post and want some more Princeza Beauty Musings, please consider following me through GFC, Bloglovin, Pinterest or Twitter! Insert "happy dance" here :-) 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water to go is an Australian family business. We supply bottle spring water for your home and business and also provide water dispenser, ceramic well, fridgemate and water coolers in Central Coast and New South Wales.
    bottled spring water

    ReplyDelete
  3. The firsthand experience and informative insights make it a trustworthy resource for skincare enthusiasts seeking gentle and effective answer. Tips Security Cyberseurity An essential addition to self-care routines.

    ReplyDelete