Friday 2 August 2013

Review - Soap & Glory The Righteous Body Butter


I fell in love with Soap & Glory for all the wrong reasons! The bright pink containers, the witty tongue-in-cheek product names, the vintage-inspired packaging and the girly fragrances all joined forces and hauled me in before I could do my usual background research on performance, function and most importantly ingredient list. Something so pretty and feminine had to be amazing, right?

The answer of course is yes and no and Soap & Glory is a classic example of a brand that focuses more on the outer packaging and marketing message, that the formulation of the product itself.
I don't really have anyone to blame for my impulse purchases or for the fact that I fall so easily into the advertising trap and nobody forced me to buy anything nor did I feel obligated to use their products. However I can't help but be a tiny bit disappointed with the brand messaging and the fact that a company that supposedly cares about women would produce products that are simply sub par and definitively overpriced for the ingredients used in the final formula.

I know that Soap & Glory is not all bad and I am sure they have a few redeeming products in their line up however after purchasing several things that disappointed me I am bitterly going to step aside and look for something better.
My last Soap & Glory purchase was the Righteous Body Butter and even though I liked using it I still ended up being disappointed because the formulation was average, the ingredient list full of various "nasties" and the price for the quality was seriously inflated.

I know there are a lot of people out there that love Soap & Glory and this particular body butter so I hope this review doesn't offend anyone. The only reason I am writing this slightly negative opinion is because I believe that we must have a balanced view when it comes to product reviews and part of the reason I started blogging in the first place was to be able to present readers with a clear and honest picture of the products I personally used.
My personal opinion of the Soap & Glory Righteous Body Butter is that it fails to deliver on its promises and under-preforms in comparison to some other drugstore, less pricy body lotions.

Description;
Award winning body butter with softening shea butter and aloe vera. Smooth on a handful after your shower and you might swear you're wearing velvet. Scented with our Original Pink™ fragrance.
Soap & Glory Righteous Body Butter

Directions for use;
After showering or bathing, smooth a generous handful of The Righteous Butter onto damp skin and massage lightly until it all sinks in.

Ingredients;
Water, Shea Butter (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Cetyl Alcohol (thickening agent), Glyceryl Stearate (Emollient), Coconut Oil (Emollient), Cacoa Seed Butter, Rosa Moschata Seed Oil, PEG-100 Stearate, Dimethicone, Parfum, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Phenoxyethanol, Dipropylene Glycol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Methylparaben, Carbomer, Propylene Glycol,Ethylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Limonene, Butylphenyl, Methylpropional, Potassium Hydroxide, BHT, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Geraniol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone, Citral, Propylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Disodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben

Upon closer examination of the Righteous Body Butter ingredient list, heavy duty emollients are easily recognized including Shea Butter, Aloe Vera, Cacao Seed Butter and various essential oils. I wasn't able to find out exact concentrations but judging by its thick, greasy texture I would say that the percentage is quite high and it would make sense because this is meant for dry skin. I purchased this product based on the fact that it claimed  to provide deep moisture and since it was thick, it was very easy to assume that it really would be adequate.

The Soap & Glory Righteous Body Butter would be perfect if it actually absorbed into the skin at a certain point but no matter how long I wait for it to sink it, it just refuses to work for me. I have tried experimenting with various amounts, applied on both dry and damp skin, mixed it with body oil and other body lotions but its not co-operating at all.

The fragrance of the body butter is Soap & Glory's signature Original Pink scent and even though its not my favorite its pleasant enough that I would have no objections about it if the product was otherwise usable.
Soap & Glory Righteous Body Butter

I hate giving a negative rating to a product but I honestly cannot recommend something that preformed so poorly. It never really sinks in to my skin, leaving greasy residue on the body and worst of all despite all those emollients my skin was left feeling irritated and very dry just mere hours after initial application.

I will be passing this on to a friend as I don't want it to go to waste and if her experience is any different I will update this review with the new information but until then I don't recommend this and suggest you save the $20-25 and purchase a tube of the Bliss Body Butter instead

I hope this is helpful anyways :-)

What do you think about the Soap & Glory products? Maybe I am the only one that doesn't like it?

XOXO

ANJA

P.S. If you enjoyed this post and want some more Princeza Beauty Musings, please consider following me through GFC, Bloglovin, Pinterest or Twitter! Insert "happy dance" here :-) 

1 comment:

  1. My Partner and I have was suffering from Herpes simplex for years. We have tried so many solutions with no result. One fateful day while browsing through the internet I saw a testimony of a client who got cured from herpes by Dr. Robinson buckler through herbal medicine so I decided to give a try. A try that changed our life for good. I contacted Dr. Robinson buckler and he sent some herbal medicine to us, which we took for 14 days. It was a great surprise when we went for a test and the test result came out negative., Dr. Robinson buckler brought joy into my family again. His result is 100% guaranteed. .. it's unbelievable! .... You contact him on his email. Robinsonbuckler11(at)gmail com..

    ReplyDelete