Wednesday 23 October 2013

C.O. Bigelow My Favourite Night Balm NO. 306 - The Cockiest Lip Treatment Around?


What's in a name? 
The art of assigning a particular name or title when it comes to all products in general can be one of the driving forces that can heavily influence the brands commercial success or unfortunate market failure. This particular phenomenon might be most prominent in the cosmetic industry where branding, advertising and memorable product dubs are all intricately designed to attract the consumers and make them remember the item in question long after they leave the store. These days the beauty market is beautifully over-saturated with various formulations of products that share similar purpose and design, meaning that creativity is more important than ever to make something stand out and maintain longevity in the industry itself. 

Cutesy product packaging, clever advertisements and "catchy" names or descriptions are all wonderful ways to get noticed and stay memorable in the minds of your target audience. 

The C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm No. 306 ($7.50) is a relatively new addition to my lip treatment balm collection which starts growing at an exponential rate during this time of year. The freezing cold and windy Canadian winters are anything but kind and tolerable for my dry, sensitive skin and my lips seem to suffer the most due to these unfortunate weather elements. Lets face it dry, chapped, cracked and windburned lips are not a good look for anybody and it goes without saying that even your best lipstick or lip gloss will not look its best if the base is not taken care of first. 


The C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm No. 306 caught my attention immediately with its cocky name and despite the fact that I had absolutely no knowledge about the brand itself, that little blurb guaranteed its purchase quite easily. A big hand of applause for the C.O. Bigelow marketing team - their efforts obviously paid off and I am sure I wasn't the only beauty connoisseur that fell hard for such a clever name almost instantly. 
The scientist in me really wanted to test the lip treatment that claimed to be My Favorite Night Balm right from the get go. 
Bold statements like that should be able to produce bold results as well!

Official Description;
Heal your lips while you sleep with this deeply moisturizing night balm. Leaves lips soft and smooth. Contains healing Shea Butter



Ingredients;
Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Petrolatum, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Ozokerite, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-1, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Mineral Oil, Lanolin Oil, C18-38 Alkyl Hydroxystearoyl Stearate, Diisostearyl Malate, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (CAndeilla Cera, Cire de Candelilla), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Isoprpyl Palmitate, Slica Silylate, Stearalkonius Hectorite, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Propylene CArbonate, Sodium Saccharin, BHT
The winter and environmental factors around here have a tendency to irritate and dry out my lip tissue and the vermilion border surrounding it. The sensation of slight burning and redness associated with it can be extremely uncomfortable and further element exposure can even add itchiness and flaking to the already "pretty" sight. Daily lip protection can be achieved with sunscreen infused rich lip balms, reapplied regularly and continuously however there are days when that just proves not to be enough. Heavy-duty, nourishing and hydrating night lip treatments provide healing and rejuvenation overnight, making them an essential step in my nightly skincare routine.
All my other lip balms, that used to be perfect for my summertime lips, now become basically useless and simply not good enough to tackle such extreme issues. Oh, what's a girl to do?

So yes, I was skeptical when I saw C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm No. 306 ; but the words "8 hour overnight recovery" intrigued me enough to put this lovely blue tube to the favorites test. 
I love that it's texture is very thick, but doesn't feel uncomfortable on the lips. The scent is light, but pleasant; not overpowering in the least and the nourishment is felt almost instantly. It feels and looks like its working almost instantly but the results are not as quick as the sales associated relentlessly claimed when I inquired about the formula itself. My lips felt better and there were observable improvements in lip condition but it took a few days for me to be convinced of its effectiveness. 

The promise of My Favorite Night Balm  formula is definitively solid and produces enviable results for such a small price tag but I can't say that I would classify this as a must-have or even a favorite lip treatment. I like it and would even re-purchase it once I run out but in all honesty there are other balms in my lip stash that preform better and quicker than this particular product. 
However if you are looking for a budget, good quality lip balm that will give you some consistent results then the C.O. Bigelow is definitively a good and reliable choice. 
The My Favorite Night Balm might not be my favorite lippie but I still give it high marks :-)

What is your favorite lip product?

Thank you for reading 

XOXO 

ANJA

1 comment:

  1. The purpose of lip balm is to create an occlusive coating on the lip surface that seals moisture in the lips and protects them from the elements. Dry air, chilly temperatures, and wind all take moisture away from the body, causing skin to dry out.

    ReplyDelete